Responsible to: Manager (unless a Senior Room Manager or Assistant Manager is based in the connecting area)
Responsible for: Assistant Room Manager, EYP's, Trainee Early Years Educator, QEYE, Asst EYE
- NNEB, BTEC, NVQ 3, or equivalent childcare qualification
- Level 4 Diploma in Early Years
- Foundation Degree in Early Years
- BA Hon Degree in Early Years
- Early Years Professional Status
Essential Technical & Personal Competencies
- Broad relevant childcare experience (minimum 1 year)
- Working knowledge of the work practices, processes and procedures relevant to the role
- Experience of childcare & curriculum initiatives for example Busy Babies / Imagination Station/Kindermusik
- Good oral and written communication, literacy and numeracy skills
- A working knowledge of staff training and development
- Knowledge of childcare legislative polices and their implementation
- Demonstrate the ability to listen and coach other staff members
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to communicate with children and adults.
- Demonstrate a caring and patient attitude
- Good professional attitude e.g. dress, conduct, flexibility and mutual respect for others and a passion to work with children
- Promote diversity throughout the setting
- Ensure appropriate personal hygiene standards
- Promote a positive attitude to training
Desired Technical & Personal Competencies
- Experience of the Private Day Nurseries Sector
- Experience in supervisory role (minimum 6 months)
- Ability to demonstrate a natural talent for music or creative arts
- Focusing on the customer
- Planning and organising
- Continuous Improvement
- Problem Solving and Decision Making skills
- Leadership / Management
- Creative and Analytical Thinking
- Influencing, Persuasion and Negotiation Skills
- Achievement Focus
Full completion of the Room Managers section of the company’s Next Steps training programme on the Qualification & Training Matrix
Completion of the Room Managers section of the Company’s Next Steps training programme on the Qualification & Training Matrix within 6 months of appointment
All staff are expected to:
- Positively support equality of opportunity and equality of treatment to colleagues, children and parent/carers in accordance with the Companies Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Have a working knowledge of the Children’s Act.
Help maintain a safe working environment by:
- Undertaking training in Health and Safety as necessary, both on appointment and as required in line with legislative changes.
- Following codes of safe working practices for both children and staff and comply with the companies Health and Safety Policy.
- Reporting any concerns in relation to the wellbeing and safeguarding of children and staff as outlines in the companies policies and procedures
The post holder will be expected to:
- Co-ordinate and carryout the planning and prioritising of the activities and progress in the room in order to create and develop a stimulating environment.
- Ensure a full awareness of their responsibilities in line with all company policies and procedures and legislative requirements.
- Ensure that the room that you are responsible for complies with all aspects of various internal company audits and that any action points are addressed.
- Deliver a high level of quality childcare whilst maintaining a professional and positive outcome for both children and staff.
- Challenge any practices that do not follow the company’s policies and procedures.
- Manage the day to day running of the room in no Senior Room Manager is in the setting or the absence of the Senior Room Manager.
- Communicate with their line Manager regarding the activities and progress within the room.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continued professional development for themselves and others.
- Reflect on working practices within their room to improve the quality of childcare provided.
- Co-ordinate and lead room meetings if no Senior Room Manager is in the setting or in the absence of the Senior Room Manager.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Be assigned as key person for a designated number of children to ensure that all their basic and developmental needs are met.
- Support the Senior Room Manager or Assistant Manager in overseeing and managing the monitoring of the standards within the nursery to maximise the very highest level of childcare.
- Be responsible for ensuring that all children within their room are safe and secure.
- Build effective relationships with all parents within the room
- Take sufficient care of all visitors, staff and parents in order to comply with legal requirements.
- Undertake the day to day management of the room if no Senior Room Manager is in the setting or assist the Senior Room Manager
- Communicate with the Senior Room Manager/ Assistant Manager regarding the activities and progress within the rooms.
- Implement, co-ordinate and supervise suitable activities to create and develop a stimulating environment.
- Assist with the resolution of issues/queries /complaints within the room to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Work as part of the staff team within the room to improve the operational efficiency and quality of service of the nursery to ensure it remains a profitable business including being actively involved in the planning and organising of marketing activities.
- Recommend effective training and development opportunities for all staff within the room in order to stay compliant in line with legal requirements.
- Undertake other duties within the scope of the post as may be requested by your line manager
- This job purpose reflects the core activities of the post. As the post-holder develops, there will inevitably be some changes in the emphasis to the duties of the post. The company expects that the post-holder will recognise this and adopt a flexible approach to work and be willing to participate in training where necessary.
About the role:
- The Room Manager has a duty of care for all children placed in their care and overall management within the room if there are no Senior Room Managers or Assistant Managers based in their area.
- The Room Manager is responsible for the overall management within the room in order to ensure the legal and curriculum requirements are met in line with the company’s policies and procedures.
- You would be responsible for ensuring all staff prepare and supervise suitable activities to create and develop a stimulating environment in order to provide a high level of quality childcare whilst maintaining a professional and positive outcome for both children and staff.
- You are also responsible for communicating with the Manager regarding the activities and progress in the room and co-ordinating the relevant short and medium-term planning in line with the business needs in order to meet the curriculum requirements.
- Good communication skills are imperative, this involves listening, questioning, and understanding and responding to what is being communicated by children, young people and those caring for them. You will work as part of a multi-agency team and will be expected to have a clear understanding of your role and the role of other professionals. You will share information with other professionals in a timely manner and work together for the safety and well-being of the child.
- The Room Manager many also be required to step up to a Senior Room Manager role in the absence of a Senior Room Manager within the facility.
- If there is a Senior Room Manager or an Assistant Manager based within a connecting or adjoining age group Room Managers will support the Senior Room Manager or Assistant Manager with the co-ordination and implementation of the relevant short and medium-term planning in line with the business needs in order to meet the curriculum requirements. You will assume full responsibility in the absence of the Senior Room Manager, and will step up into the Senior Room Managers position. In the Senior Room Manager’s absence the Room Manager is responsible for the overall management within the room in order to ensure the legal and curriculum requirements are met in line with the company’s policies and procedures.
- A good knowledge of child development is essential to ensure that all the children’s individual needs are fully met They are responsible for communicating with the Senior Room Manager/ Assistant Manager regarding the activities and progress in the room. Ensure all staff prepare and supervise suitable activities to create and develop a stimulating environment in order to provide a high level of quality childcare whilst maintaining a professional and positive outcome for both children and staff. This involves supporting the Senior Room Manger, Assistant Manager or Manager with the co-ordination and implementation of the relevant short and medium-term planning in line with the business needs in order to meet the curriculum requirements.